ISLAMABAD, January 12, 2012: The National Assembly met for 34 minutes during the first sitting of the 38th session on Thursday, reports the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet on the National Assembly proceedings.
The House did not take up any formal agenda due to the death of MNA Azeem Daultana (NA-168) and Pir Pagara Syed Shah Mardan Shah-II.
A total of nine Members – two Members each of PPPP and PML, one Member each of MMAP, PMLN, MQM and ANP and one Independent – paid tributes to their colleague and Pir Pagara, for 29 minutes.
The Prime Minister attended the sitting for 34 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was present for 25 minutes. The parliamentary leaders of the ANP, MQM, PPPS, MMAP, BNPA and NPP attended the proceedings.
The following are some key observations of the Parliamentary business:
Members’ participation in House proceedings
- The National Assembly met for 34 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1905 hours instead of the scheduled starting time of 1800 hours. The House proceedings were delayed by 65 minutes.
- The Deputy Speaker chaired the sitting.
- The Prime Minister was present for 34 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for 25 minutes.
- The Parliamentary leaders of the ANP, MQM, MMAP, PPPS, BNPA and NPP were present while the leaders of the PML and PMLF were absent.
- The Chief Whips of the ANP, PML, MQM, PMLN and PPPP were present, while those of MMAP and PMLF were absent.
- A total of 235 (70%) Members were present at the outset of the sitting, while 245 (73%) were there at the end.
- A maximum of 252 (75%) Members were observed to be present at one point of the sitting.
- Eight minority Members were present during the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House did not take up any formal agenda due to the death of MNA, Azeem Daultana (NA- 168) and Pir Pagara.
- The Question Hour was not held.
- Two bills appeared on the Orders of the Day, which were not taken up
Order and institutionalization
- No Point of Order was raised during the sitting.
- A total of nine Members – two Members each of PPPP and PML, one Member each of MMAP, PMLN, MQM and ANP and one Independent – spoke for 29 minutes to pay tribute to MNA Azeem Daultana and Pir Pagara.
- There were no instances of protests, boycotts or walkouts during the sitting.
- Orders of the Day were available to Legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of National Assembly proceedings conducted by Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI), a Member organization of FAFEN.
ISLAMABAD, October 2, 2019: The National Assembly was prorogued sine die on Wednesday amidst a lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.…
ISLAMABAD, October 1, 2019: The National Assembly took up most of the Private Members’ bills on Tuesday and left the resolutions, motions and amendments in the…
ISLAMABAD, September 30, 2019: The National Assembly transacted most of its agenda on Monday and passed two government bills, observers Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its…