ISLAMABAD, October 26, 2017: The Balochistan Assembly adopted three private members’ resolutions on Thursday in absence of the Leaders of the House and the Opposition, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings during third sitting of the 45th session:
- The Balochistan Assembly met for two hours and 55 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1640 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Speaker chaired the proceedings for an hour and five minutes while a member of the Panel of Chairpersons presided over the rest of the sitting.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 16 lawmakers (24%) were present at the outset and 15 (23%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of NP, MWM and PML were present.
- Two minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- Nine lawmakers applied for leave.
- The House referred a PML-N lawmaker’s resolution concerning rates of the development works to the relevant committee. Five lawmakers debated the resolution for 10 minutes.
- Moved by NP lawmaker, the House adopted a resolution recommending the government to take steps for preservation and promotion of Balochistan’s archaeological sites. Eleven lawmakers debated the resolution for an hour and four minutes.
- Moved by a PML-N lawmaker, the House adopted a resolution recommending the installation of speed-monitoring system on Quetta Airport road. Six lawmakers debated the resolution for 12 minutes.
- Moved by a PkMAP lawmaker, the House adopted a resolution urging the provincial government to move the federal government for amendments in Income Tax Ordinance 2001 and shifting the zonal offices of industries set up in Hub district of Balochistan from Karachi to Hub. Four lawmakers debated the resolution for 34 minutes.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House deferred six Starred Questions due to the absence of concerned lawmakers.
- The House took up a Call Attention Notice (CANs) regarding poor conditions of tourist places in Quetta. Moreover, two CANs were deferred due to absence of concerned ministers.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers raised a Point of Order consuming one minute of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, June 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan witnessed the presentation of Provincial Annual Budget for the Financial Year 2019-2020 and the Supplementary Budget for…
ISLAMABAD, June 12, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan discussed Public Sector Development Program (PSDP) for the years 2018-19, 2019-20 and delay in National Finance Commission…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, May 3, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan did not take up most of the regular business appearing on `Orders of the Day’ on Friday,…