ISLAMABAD, May 16, 2017: The Balochistan Assembly approved two amendments to the Assembly’s Rules of Procedure for allocation of time to discuss Points of Public Importance and constitution of Ethics and Advisory Committee, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) on Tuesday.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during third sitting of the Assembly’s 40th session:
- The Balochistan Assembly met for two hours and 11 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1649 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- A member of Panel of Chairpersons chaired entire sitting while the Speaker was absent.
- The post of Deputy Speaker is lying vacant.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the opposition did not attend the proceedings.
- Eighteen lawmakers (28%) were present at the outset and 13 (20%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of ANP, PkMAP, NP, PML and MWM were present.
- Three minority members attended the sitting.
- Nine members applied for leave.
- The Provincial Minster for Revenue introduced the Balochistan Mass Transit Authority Bill, 2017.
- The House approved the recommendations of the Standing Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges to regarding amendments to the Assembly Rules of Procedure for allocation of time to discuss Points of Public Importance and constitution of Ethics and Advisory Committee.
- Chairperson, Standing Committee on Social Welfare presented reports of the committee on the Balochistan Persons with Disability Bill, 2017 and the Balochistan Senior Citizen Welfare Bill, 2017.
- A JUI-F female lawmaker presented report of the Standing Committee on Communication and Works on the Balochistan Special Development Board for Low Cost Housing Schemes Bill, 2017.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up a Starred Question which was responded to by the relevant minister. The lawmakers also asked three Supplementary Questions.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on 17 Points of Order consuming 54 minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of Members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, May 23, 2017: The Balochistan Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution expressing condolence over the demise of PkMAP lawmaker Abdul Rahim Mandokhail, observes Free and…
Points of Order consume 18% of proceedings Deputy Speaker office lying vacant since December 2015 ISLAMABAD, 23 May 2017: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan passed…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, May 20, 2017: The Balochistan Assembly passed three bills and adopted a joint resolution while the proceedings remain suspended for an hour and…