ISLAMABAD, January 31, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of the Balochistan adopted a resolution demanding the federal government to ensure fix billing for domestic gas consumers in the province during winter season, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet on Thursday.
Following are key observations of the House proceeding during fourth sitting of the seventh session:
- The House met for three hours and 47 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1619 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was not present in the proceeding.
- The Leader of the House was present for an hour and 57 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- As many as 25 MPAs (38%) were present at the outset while 23 (35%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of BNP-A, PkMAP, BNP-M, BAP, HDP and MMA attended the proceeding.
- All three minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- The House adopted a resolution urging the federal government to exempt domestic gas consumers in province from sale price formula and ensure fix billing to them during winter season. The resolution was jointly moved by PkMAP, MMA, BNP-M, HDP and ANP lawmakers.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up five out of eleven starred questions while six questions were deferred as their answers were not received. In addition, the House took up all ten questions deferred during the second sitting of the ongoing session.
- As many as seven members participated in debate on drought situation in Balochistan. They spoke for 20 minutes on it.
- The Leader of the House responded two Calling Attention Notices (CAN) regarding reinstatement of the employees of Communication and Construction Department and establishment of Custom House at Pak-Afghan border. These CANs were sponsored by BNP-M and MMA lawmakers respectively.
- The House deferred general debate regarding energy crisis in the province and establishment of medical colleges in Khuzdar, Kech and Lora Lai.
- The House did not discuss an Adjournment Motion regarding road accidents on Highways due to reckless driving.
Order and Institutionalization
- As many as three lawmakers raised Points of Order consuming nine minutes of the proceedings.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on February 1, 2019 (Friday) at 1500 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to the observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, March 1, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan unanimously adopted two resolutions on Friday to express solidarity with Pakistan Armed Forces and recognize their timely action…
ISLAMABAD, February 27, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan unanimously adopted a resolution on Wednesday to condemn Indian aggression in the region and also appreciated…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, February 16, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan discussed governance and employment issues through points of order consuming almost one third of…