- Session Prorogued
ISLAMABAD, February 1, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of the Balochistan failed to take up any of the questions appearing on its agenda as the relevant minister did not show up for sitting on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceeding during fifth (last) sitting of the seventh session:
- The House met for two hours and eight minutes; however, the proceedings remained suspended for 53 minutes.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was not present in the proceeding.
- The Leader of the House was not present.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- As many as 14 MPAs (22%) were present at the outset while 22 (34%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of BNP, PkMAP, ANP, MMA and HDP attended the proceeding.
- All three minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- The House adopted a resolution to regularize the services of 786 teachers of the Community schools in the province. The resolution was moved by MMA lawmaker who also spoke on it for seven minutes.
Representation and Responsiveness
- None of the thirteen starred questions were take up due to absence of Provincial Minister for Health.
- The House did not start general debate on energy crisis in the province, unemployment and establishment of medical colleges in Khuzdar, Kech and Lora Lai due to absence of Chief Minister.
- The House did not discuss two Adjournment Motions appearing on the agenda.
Order and Institutionalization
- As many as 11 lawmakers raised Points of Order consuming 48 minutes of the proceeding.
- The proceeding remained suspended for 53 minutes as the lawmakers refused to start general debate on pending issues in the absence of Chief Minister.
- The Session was prorogued sine die.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to the observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, September 13, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh was adjourned without addressing its scheduled business in honor of the PPPP lawmaker Ghulam Shah Jilani who…
ISLAMABAD, September 13, 2019: The National Assembly on Friday adopted an amendment in the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business to elect more than…
ISLAMABAD, September 12, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) passed two government bills amidst opposition’s protest and adopted six supplementary resolutions after…