ISLAMABAD, April 11, 2016: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted a joint resolution and an amendment to the rules of procedure and conduct of business of the House during last sitting (7th) of its 27th session on Monday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Some key observations are as follows:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for 45 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1040 hours against scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- Fifteen (25%) lawmakers were present at the start and maximum 23 (38%) at the time of adjournment of sitting.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The post of Deputy Speaker is lying vacant.
- The Chief Minister was present.
- The Leader of the Opposition was absent.
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, PML-N and PML were present.
- One minority member attended the sitting.
- The House adopted a resolution jointly tabled by PkMAP, PML-N, JUI-F and NP lawmakers which was about declaring Ziarat as Tourism Zone. Eight members spoke on it for 27 minutes.
- Moved by an NP lawmaker, the House approved to insert an amendment in Rule 170 by inserting sub-rule 170-A for formation of Council of Chairmen and Standing Committee on Implementation of Resolutions after presentation of the report of the Standing Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privilege on it.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House deferred five starred questions appearing on the agenda due to absence of mover.
Order and Institutionalization
- Members spoke on three Points of Order consuming 11 minutes of the proceeding.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of Members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceeding conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, August 10, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan passed three government bills amid low attendance of the lawmakers in the House on Saturday,…
ISLAMABAD, August 8, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted three Private Members’ resolution on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily…
ISLAMABAD, August 5, 2019 The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan addressed its entire agenda on Monday and unanimously adopted a resolution to condemn elimination of special status…