ISLAMABAD, April 7, 2016: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted one resolution and deferred two others amid low attendance of lawmakers during fifth sitting of its ongoing 27th session on Thursday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Some key observations are as follows:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for 63 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1622 hours against scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- Nineteen (31%) lawmakers were present at the start and 15 (24%) at the time of adjournment of sitting.
- A maximum of 23 (36%) members attended the sitting.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The post of Deputy Speaker is lying vacant.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition were absent.
- Parliamentary leader of MWM was present.
- One minority member attended the sitting.
- Fourteen members applied for leave.
- Jointly tabled by PkMAP lawmakers, the House unanimously adopted a resolution regarding survey and furnishing funds for construction of small dams in various districts to store rain water. Seven members spoke on it for 28 minutes.
- Sponsored by an ANP lawmaker, the House deferred a resolution about provision of funds for construction of road from Zob to Mughal Kot.
- Another resolution sponsored by PkAMP lawmaker was also deferred which was about training of farmers on drip irrigation process.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House deferred all four starred questions appearing on the agenda due to absence of relevant Ministers and movers.
Order and Institutionalization
- Members spoke on eight Points of Order consuming 23 minutes of the proceeding.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of Members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceeding conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, August 10, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan passed three government bills amid low attendance of the lawmakers in the House on Saturday,…
ISLAMABAD, August 8, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted three Private Members’ resolution on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily…
ISLAMABAD, August 5, 2019 The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan addressed its entire agenda on Monday and unanimously adopted a resolution to condemn elimination of special status…