ISLAMABAD, August 2, 2016: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan held discussion on law and order in the province during fourth sitting of its 31st session on Tuesday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for an hour and 57 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1635 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting
- The post of the Deputy Speaker is lying vacant.
- The Chief Minister attended the entire sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- 19 lawmakers (30%) were present at outset and 29 (45%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of NP, MWM, PML-N, PML and ANP attended the sitting.
- One minority member attended the sitting.
- Four members applied for leave.
- The Chief Minister presented report of the Finance Committee for FY 2015-16.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Government orally responded to six out of eleven Starred Questions. In addition, five Starred Questions were deferred by the Chair due to unsatisfactory reply.
- Sponsored by JUI-F lawmaker, the House held discussion on an Adjournment Motion regarding law and order situation in the province. Two members participated in the discussion consuming thirty minutes of the proceeding.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on eight points of order consuming 15 minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceeding conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, October 18, 2019: The 16th session of Balochistan Assembly was prorogued sine die on Friday leaving most of the regular business unaddressed due to lack…
ISLAMABAD, October 15, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan did not take up most of its regular business due to lack of quorum on Tuesday, observes…
ISLAMABAD, October 12, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan passed five government bills on Saturday but was adjourned due to lack of quorum pointed out by…