- Adopts Motion to Introduce Zero Hour in Rules of Procedure
- Session Prorogued
ISLAMABAD, April 17, 2017: The Balochistan Assembly on Monday adopted a resolution and witnessed introduction of four bills along with passage of Balochistan Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill 2017, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during 6th sitting of 38th session:
- The Balochistan Assembly met for two hours and 52 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1628 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting. The slot of Deputy Speaker is lying vacant since 2015.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the proceedings.
- Twenty-two lawmakers (34%) were present at the outset and 12 (18%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP and ANP were present.
- Two minority members also attended the sitting.
- Four members applied for leave.
- The House adopted a resolution to decrease electricity load-shedding in the province. Nine lawmakers spoke on it for 39 minutes.
- The House passed the Balochistan Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill 2017 and witnessed introduction of four bills, including the Balochistan Persons with Disabilities Bill, 2017; the Child Marriage Prohibition Bill, 2017; the Balochistan Senior Citizens Welfare Bill, 2017 and the Balochistan Special Development Board for Low Cost Housing Schemes Bill, 2017. All the introduced bills were referred to the relevant committees.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Four questions appearing on the agenda were taken up. In addition, lawmakers asked five supplementary questions.
- The House adopted a motion to insert a new chapter in the Rules of Procedure to introduce Zero Hour.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on 21 Points of Order consuming 59 minutes of the proceedings.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of Members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD August 22, 2017: The Balochistan Assembly transacted most of the business appearing on agenda and deferred question hour due to absence of the mover…
Budget Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, June 22, 2017: The Balochistan Assembly witnessed one of its shortest sittings on Thursday when it met for five minutes in…
ISLAMABAD, June 21, 2017: The Balochistan Assembly on Wednesday passed the Balochistan Finance Bill, 2017 and approved 58 demands for grants, reports Free and Fair…