ISLAMABAD, December 2, 2017: The Balochistan Assembly on Saturday debated a resolution demanding special share from the Oil and Gas Development Company (OGDC) for development of three districts in the province, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings during the first sitting of the Assembly’s 46th session:
- The Balochistan Assembly met for an hour and 23 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1652 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Chief Minister attended the entire proceedings
- The Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 17 lawmakers (26%) were present at the outset and 20 (31%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, ANP and PkMAP were present during the proceedings.
- Three minority members also attended the sitting.
- Twelve members applied for leave.
- Ten lawmakers debated a resolution appearing on the agenda for 49 minutes which demanded special share from OGDC for development of three districts including Naseerabad, Jafferabad and Sohbatpur. However, the resolution was deferred till next sitting to incorporate proposed amendments in it.
- Another resolution regarding tax relaxation for importers of Balochistan was deferred till next sitting due to absence of its sponsor.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House deferred a Call Attention Notice regarding dilapidated conditions of roads in Quetta.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on seven Points of Order consuming 12 minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of Members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, November 5, 2018: The Provincial Assembly (PA) of Balochistan on Monday unanimously passed a joint resolution urging the government to take counter measures against…
ISLAMABAD, November 1, 2018: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted three private members’ resolutions on Thursday, observers Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its…
ISLAMABAD, October 29, 2018: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan passed two government bills amidst opposition’s walkout on Monday, observers Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…