ISLAMABAD, June 15, 2015: The Punjab Assembly commenced the debate on the provincial budget 2015-16 on Monday as the House continued to witness low attendance of lawmakers, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
The sitting started 82 minutes behind the schedule with 37 members (10% of the total membership) present at the start and 14 (4%) at the time of adjournment.
The Opposition Leader opened the debate on the budget and spoke for 109 minutes. In addition, 11 members – nine from PML-N and one each of PPPP and PML-Z – shared their views on the subject for 103 minutes.
The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting. However, the Finance Minister was present for nearly the entire duration.
Following are some key observations of the assembly business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for three hours and 44 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1522 hours against the scheduled time of 1400 hours.
- 37 members (10%) were present at the start and 14 (4%) at the end of the sitting.
- A maximum of 80 members (22%) were present at one point of the sitting.
- The Speaker chaired sitting for 76 minutes.
- The remaining time was presided over by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Opposition Leader was present for 121 minutes.
- The Finance Minister was present for three hours and 42 minutes.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP and PML-Z were present.
- Five minority members attended the sitting.
- No member applied for the leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Opposition Leader opened the debate on the provincial budget 2015-16 and spoke for 109 minutes.
- Eleven other lawmakers – nine from PML-N and one each of PPPP and PML-Z – also shared their views on the budget for 103 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- Only one point of order was raised during the sitting.
- ‘Orders of the day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was also available to the observers and the public.
To download the document, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, June 20, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab on Thursday continued the general discussion on provincial annual budget consuming 76 percent of the proceeding time,…
ISLAMABAD, June 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab on Wednesday resumed general discussion on budget 2019-20 amid low attendance of lawmakers as 15 percent were…
ISLAMABAD, June 18, 2019: As many as 24 lawmakers participated in the general discussion on the annual budget 2019-20 in Punjab Assembly, observes Free and Fair…