ISLAMABAD, June 01, 2012: Amid pandemonium, the Federal Minister for Finance and Revenue presented the budget during the first sitting of the 42nd session of the National Assembly on Friday. Starting 35 minutes late, the sitting lasted 36 minutes.
The sitting was marred by a scuffle between PMLN and PPPP legislators while the Finance Minister was making the budget speech.
The Prime Minister attended the entire sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was present for 20 minutes.
The following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ participation in House proceedings
- The National Assembly met for 36 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1805 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1730 hours. The House proceedings started late by 35 minutes.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting. The Deputy Speaker was also present during the proceedings.
- The Prime Minister was present during the entire sitting and the Leader of the Opposition was there for 20 minutes.
- The Parliamentary leaders of the MQM, PPPS, NPP and BNPA were present while the leaders of MMAP, ANP, PMLF and PML were absent.
- The Chief Whips of the PPPP, PMLN, PML, MMAP, ANP and PMLF were present.
- A total of 117 (34%) Members were present at the outset of the sitting, while 245 (71%) at the end of the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Minister for Finance and Revenue addressed the House for 23 minutes.
- There was no other agenda on the Orders of the Day.
- The Finance Bill 2012 was presented in the House.
- The report on the ‘Demands of Grants’ was presented before the House.
Order and institutionalization
- There was no Adjournment Motion on the Orders of the Day.
- PMLN Members chanted slogans during the budget speech.
- Orders of the Day was available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
- Copies of the budget speech were available to the legislators.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI), a member organization of FAFEN
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, August 9, 2019: The National Assembly did not take up most of its agenda on Friday and consumed major part of the proceedings…
ISLAMABAD, August 8, 2019: The National Assembly was adjourned early on Thursday without addressing its regular business due to protest by the opposition parties against the…
ISLAMABAD, August 7, 2019: The Parliament of Pakistan unanimously adopted a resolution on Wednesday condemning the Indian move to change the special status of Indian Held Kashmir (IHK)…