ISLAMABAD, April 14, 2017: The Chairman adjourned the Senate sitting for an indefinite period on Friday without addressing the scheduled business due to absence of relevant ministers, observes Free and Fair Election Network in Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during fifth sitting of Senate’s 261st session:
- The Senate met for an hour and 40 minutes.
- The sitting started at its scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for 20 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was not present.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Eleven members (10%) were present at the outset and 17 (16%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, JUI-F, PkMAP and PML-F attended the sitting.
- Two minority Senators attended the sitting.
- The House did not take up the legislative business set on Orders of the Day.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up six out of 41 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda. The lawmakers asked seven supplementary questions as well. The Question Hour was suspended after 25 minutes due to government’s failure to provide written answers to the questions.
- The House did not take up the Calling Attention Notices and Points of Public Importance.
- The House took up an Adjournment Motion regarding overbilling by MEPCO for determination of its admissibility. However, the agenda item was left undecided due to absence of the relevant minister.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on six Points of Order consuming as minutes of the proceedings.
- MQM lawmakers and a Senator belonging to PML-N walked out against non-seriousness of the government towards the business of the House. They did not return till adjournment of the sitting.
- The Chairman, under Rule 23 (2) (a), adjourned the sitting for an indefinite period due to absence of the relevant ministers.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, April 21, 2017: The Chairman prorogued the Senate session sine die without taking up any legislative business on Friday, as the Senators belonging to…
ISLAMABAD, April 20, 2017: The Senate discussed the issues of reassembling of imported auto-parts and decision of an arbitration forum on Tethyan Company’s claims against…
ISLAMABAD, April 19, 2017: The Senate passed one bill and deferred a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) due to ministerial absence in the House on Wednesday,…