ISLAMABAD, August 30, 2019: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Assembly passed an amendment to the KP Judicial Academy Act, 2012 on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings during fourth sitting of eighth session requisitioned by the Opposition:
- The Assembly met for 33 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1117 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker did not attend the sitting.
- The Leaders of the House and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 44 (30%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 45 (31%) at the end of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of ANP and PML attended the proceedings.
- Only one out of four minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- Moved by the Advisor to the Chief Minister (CM) on Elementary and Secondary Education, the House passed the KP Judicial Academy (Amendment) Bill, 2019. The bill was introduced in the House on July 18, 2019.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Advisor to the Chief Minister on Elementary and Secondary Education responded to a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding imposition of ban on airing Indian content on cable television networks. The CAN was sponsored by MMAP lawmaker.
- The House continued the discussion on India’s attempt to change status of Indian Occupied Jammu & Kashmir. Three lawmakers – one each from ANP, PML and PTI – participated in the discussion that lasted for 10 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- A female lawmaker belonging to PPPP staged a two-minute protest against the government for ignoring PPPP in the Committee on Kashmir constituted by the CM. The Speaker assured the protesting lawmaker that he will take up the matter with the CM.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on September 16, 2019 (Monday) at 1030 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to the observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the KP Assembly proceeding conducted by United Rural Development Organization (URDO) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh on Friday left ninety percent of its regular agenda unaddressed and adopted a supplementary resolution to condemn…
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2019: The 14th session of Provincial Assembly of Punjab was prorogued on Friday amidst low attendance of lawmakers, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…
ISLAMABAD, September 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab transacted its entire agenda amid low attendance of lawmakers in the House on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election…