ISLAMABAD, April 29, 2019: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Assembly passed the Local Government (Amendment) Bill as well as the Continuation of Laws in the erstwhile Federally Administered Tribal Areas Bill on Monday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during 19th sitting of the sixth session:
- The Assembly met for an hour and 32 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1448 hours against the scheduled time of 1330 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Leader of the House did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- As many as 49 MPAs (40%) were present at the outset and 52 (42%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leader of PPPP attended the proceedings.
- One out of three minority lawmakers was present in the House.
- Moved by the Minister for Local Government, the House passed the KP Local Government (Amendment) Bill, 2019 which was introduced earlier on April 23, 2019.
- Minister for Law introduced a supplementary bill, the KP Continuation of Laws in the erstwhile Federally Administered Tribal Areas Bill, 2019 that was also passed by the House.
Representation and Responsiveness.
- The Provincial Minister for Food responded to a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) raised by a PPPP lawmaker regarding the allocation of funds for the construction of roads in PK-11, Upper Dir.
- Another CAN related to the free treatment of government employees in the government hospitals of Peshawar was not taken up due to the absence of mover.
- The House, for the third time, did not hold a scheduled discussion on the return of overseas Pakistanis, belonging to the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, from Middle Eastern countries and its impact on the society.
Order and Institutionalization
- As many as four lawmakers spoke on two Points of Order consuming six minutes of the proceedings.
- The opposition lawmakers protested when the chair disallowed an ANP lawmaker to raise a PO. They chanted slogans in front of the Speaker’s desk while the lawmakers of PPPP and ANP torn the copies of the agenda as well.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on May, 2nd (Thursday) at 1330 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ is available to the legislators, observers and others.
- The attendance of lawmakers is not available to the observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the KP Assembly proceedings conducted by the United Rural Development Organization (URDO) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, November 15, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan dropped most of the Private Members’ agenda due to absence of their movers on Friday, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, November 15, 2019: The requisitioned session of Senate was prorogued on Friday after completing debate on all five motions under Rule 218, says Free…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, November 15, 2019: The National Assembly did not take up its scheduled business and debated the withdrawal of a motion to remove the…