ISLAMABAD, February 27, 2017: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Assembly on Monday discussed the issues being faced by the Pashtoon community in Punjab and Azad Kashmir, observed Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
The House, however, did not discuss financial crisis in the province as well as non-attendance and lack of interest by provincial ministers, advisors, special assistant and parliamentary secretaries in the Assembly proceedings.
Following are key observations of Assembly proceedings during second sitting of the 23rd session:
- The KP Assembly met for an hour and 50 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1532 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- Thirty-six lawmakers (29%) were present at the start and 35 (28%) at the end of sitting.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Chief Minister was not present while the Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of JI and ANP were present.
- One minority member attended the proceedings.
- The House adopted a resolution to condemn the recent arrest of people belonging to Pashtoon community in Punjab and Azad Kashmir and demanded explanation from their respective governments.
- The House also passed the KP Technical Education and Vocational Training Authority (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House discussed an adjournment motion regarding the issues faced by the Pashtoon community in other provinces. Thirteen lawmakers – JI (3), PTI, ANP, PML-N, PPPP (2 each), QWP and JUI-F (one each) – spoke on the subject for 76 minutes.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and other stakeholders.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to the observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the KP Assembly proceedings conducted by United Rural Development Organization (URDO) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, June 16, 2017: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Assembly session was prorogued after the House approved 43 Supplementary Demands for Grants on Friday, says Free…
ISLAMABAD, June 15, 2017: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Assembly approved 10 Supplementary Demands for Grants for financial year 2016-17 on Thursday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).…
ISLAMABAD, June 14, 2017: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Assembly on Wednesday passed the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Finance Bill, 2017 and approved 55 demands for grants, reports Free…