ISLAMABAD, October 19, 2017: The Punjab Assembly, on Thursday, did not take up any agenda item except a starred question due to lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding during fourth sitting of 32nd Session:
- The Punjab Assembly met for an hour and 18 minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for 46 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1200 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for 22 minutes.
- As many as 27 MPAs (7%) were present at the outset and 58 (16%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- Only JI parliamentary leader attended the sitting.
- Three minority lawmakers were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Only one out 22 Starred Questions was taken up for answer during the proceedings while another question was disposed of due to the absence of concerned lawmakers. The remaining 20 questions remained unaddressed due to unavailability of written replies. A lawmaker also asked a supplementary question.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on nine Points of Order consuming 11 minutes of the proceedings.
- An Independent lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1222 hours which led to the suspension of the proceedings at 1228 hours. On resumption of the sitting at 1314 hours, the Chair directed to make headcount and later adjourned the sitting at 1318 hours due to lack of quorum.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Partial Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted
ISLAMABAD, October 11, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab’s 15th session was prorogued on Friday without taking up scheduled discussions on Kashmir issue, inflation and security situation, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2019: The 14th session of Provincial Assembly of Punjab was prorogued on Friday amidst low attendance of lawmakers, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…
ISLAMABAD, September 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab transacted its entire agenda amid low attendance of lawmakers in the House on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election…