ISLAMABAD, December 18, 2015: The Senate took up its entire agenda appearing on Orders of the Day on Friday amid low attendance of lawmakers during 5th sitting of its ongoing 122nd session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
The House witnessed low attendance as only 10 (9%) legislators were present at the start and 12 (11%) at the time of adjournment.
Some key observations are as follows:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for three hours and six minutes.
- The sitting started at 1007 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Deputy Chairman presided over the sitting for an hour and 35 minutes while a member of the Panel of Chairpersons chaired the rest of the proceeding.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the House and the Opposition Leader did not attend the sitting.
- Federal Ministers for Kashmir Affairs and Gilgit-Baltistan, SAFRON, Defence Production, Climate Change, Railways and State Minister for Federal Education and Professional Training were present.
- Ten (9%) Senators were present at the start and 12 (11%) at the time of adjournment.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PkMAP, PML-F, MQM and ANP were present.
- Two minority members were present.
- Chairman, Standing Committee on Information Technology and Telecommunications presented report on the National Cyber Security Council Bill, 2014.
- On behalf of Chairperson, Standing Committee on Federal Education and Professional Training, a member of the Committee presented five reports.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on National Food Security and Research, a member of the Committee presented the first follow up report regarding proposed conversion of 1400 acres land of National Agricultural Research Centre by the Capital Development Authority (CDA) into residential/commercial plots.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Seven lawmakers – PML-N (3), PPPP (2), PTI & PML (one each) – spoke on the motion of thanks to the President of Pakistan for his address to the Parliament. The discussion consumed 64 minutes of the proceeding.
- Ten out of the 44 starred questions appearing on the agenda were taken up. In addition, the lawmakers raised 39 supplementary questions.
Order and Institutionalization
- Nine points of public importance consumed seven eleven minutes of the proceeding’s time.
- Entire Opposition except MQM staged a walk out of the House for eight minutes against the remarks of PML-N Senator against Sindh government.
- PPPP lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1119 hours following which the Chair ordered the bells to be rung for five minutes. However, it was found complete upon counting and proceeding resumed at 1126 hour
- Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
To download factsheet, Click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, June 19, 2019: The Senate sitting was adjourned on Wednesday after the treasury and opposition members nearly came close to blows during the debate on Federal Budget…
ISLAMABAD, June 18 2019: The Senate resumed debate on the Finance Bill 2019 on Tuesday, which was later adjourned due to the protest by JUI-F lawmakers against the ‘controversial’ statement of the Prime Minister and the treasury members opposing it, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, June 17 2019: The Senate continued discussion on the Finance Bill, 2019 amid low attendance of lawmakers on both sides of aisle, says Free…