ISLAMABAD, November 20, 2012: Most of the agenda appearing on Orders of the Day was left un-addressed in the last sitting of the 47th session of National Assembly which began 35 minutes after the stipulated time amid low attendance, observed Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
The house did not take up the Federal Pension Bill 2012, the Registration of Hajj Bill, 2008, as well as the standing committee report on the National Database and Registration Authority (Amendment) Bill, 2011 which were to be presented during the sitting. Proposed amendments to the rules of procedure and conduct of business were also not taken up.
However, the house unanimously passed a resolution condemning Israel’s attacks on Gaza, as well as another about de-weaponization of the country. A calling attention notice regarding rapid increase in the number of Hepatitis patients was also taken up.
The entire sitting was chaired by a member of the Panel of Chairpersons. The Speaker the Deputy Speaker, the leader of the house and the leader of the opposition did not attend the sitting. The Parliamentary leaders of BNPA, MMAP and MQM attended the sitting.
Twenty-four Points of Orders consumed 120 minutes of the sitting time.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 31 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1135 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1100 hrs. and ended at 1406 hrs. It was delayed by 35 minutes.
- The sitting was chaired by a member of the Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Speaker, the Deputy Speaker, the leader of the house, and the leader of the opposition did not attend the sitting.
- The Parliamentary leaders of MQM, BNPA, and MMAP were present.
- The chief whips of the PPPP, MQM, MMAP, BNPA, and ANP attended the sitting while those of PML, PMLN, PMLF, and NPP were absent.
- Forty-eight members were present at the start while 45 were there at the adjournment of the sitting. A maximum of 128 members were present at one point of the sitting.
- Ten minority members attended the sitting.
- Seven members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- One calling attention regarding rapid increase in the number of hepatitis patients was taken up by the House.
- A resolution condemning Israel’s attack on Palestine were moved and unanimously passed by the house. This was moved jointly by the legislators of MQM and PMLN.
- An MQM legislator moved a resolution regarding de-weaponization of the country. It was passed by the majority vote.
Order and Institutionalization
- Twenty-four Points of Order were raised which consumed 120 minutes of the sitting time.
- There were no instances of protests, boycotts or walkouts.
- Orders of the Day were available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI), a member organization of FAFEN
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 19, 2019: The National Assembly could not take up its entire agenda on Thursday due to the protest of opposition parties against the arrest…
ISLAMABAD, September 17, 2019: The National Assembly left 77 percent of its agenda unaddressed on the Private Member’s Day and debated political matters as well as…
ISLAMABAD, September 16, 2019: The National Assembly transacted its entire agenda amid low attendance of lawmakers in the House on Monday, observes Free and Fair…