ISLAMABAD, October 10, 2017: The Transplantation of Human Organs and Tissues (Amendment) Bill, 2017 sailed through the National Assembly on Tuesday amid the passage of three resolutions on the Private Members’ Day, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during seventh sitting of the 47th session:
- The National Assembly met for three hours and 31 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1046 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting while a member of Panel of Chairpersons chaired the proceedings for 45 minutes, as the Speaker was not present.
- The Leader of the House (Prime Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for 34 minutes.
- As many as 45 (13%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 40 (12%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, PML-F, JI, ANP, BNP-M and APML attended the sitting.
- Six minority lawmakers were present.
- A Private Member belonging to PML-N introduced the Trafficking in Persons Bill, 2017 in the House, which was referred to the relevant committee.
- The House deferred the Pakistan Bait-ul-Mal (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
- The Chairpersons of the Standing Committees on Human Rights, Interior, Law & Justice and the Cabinet Secretariat presented the reports of their respective committees on the National Commission on the Status of Women (Amendment) Bill, 2016, the Protection against Harassment of Women at Workplace (Amendment) Bill, 2014, the Protection against Harassment of Women at the Workplace (Amendment) Bill, 2016, the National Database and Registration Authority (Amendment) Bill, 2014, the Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2016 (section 292C and 377B), the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2015] (insertion of Article 19B) and the Federal Public Service Commission (Amendment) Bill, 2016. The House condoned the delay in the presentation of the reports.
- Moved by a MQM lawmaker, the House passed the Transplantation of Human Organs and Tissues (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
- The consideration of the Acid and Burn Crime Bill, 2017 was deferred while the Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2017 (section 489F) was not addressed.
- The House adopted three Private Members’ resolutions urging the government to deal with the propaganda against Balochistan wisely and vigorously at the international forum, establish Baba Guru Nanak Sahib International University at Nankana Sahib and take measures to reduce indirect taxation in the country.
- Two Private Members’ resolutions were dropped due to the absence of relevant lawmakers.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House did not take up the Motions under Rule 259 appearing on the Orders of the Day.
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices on the missing aircraft of Pakistan International Airlines and over-billing by the electricity company.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on 28 Points of Order consuming an hour and 34 minutes of the proceedings.
- The MQM lawmakers staged a five-minute walk out against ignoring their concerns over National Population and Housing Census, 2017.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on the National Assembly website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly’s proceedings, conducted by the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, November 15, 2019: The National Assembly did not take up its scheduled business and debated the withdrawal of a motion to remove the…
ISLAMABAD, November 14, 2019: The National Assembly left 97 percent of its agenda unaddressed on Thursday and debated political matters through points of order, observers Free…