ISLAMABAD, June 29, 2019: The Budget Session of National Assembly concluded here on Saturday after speech of Prime Minister in the absence of opposition and approval of 107 Supplementary Demands for Grants for the fiscal year 2018-19, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during 16th (last) sitting of the 11th NA session:
- The House met for five hours and 21 minutes.
- The proceedings started at 1121 hours against the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and 38 minutes while the rest of the proceedings was chaired by a member of Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Leader of the House (Prime Minister) attended the sitting for 25 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for 28 minutes.
- A total of 12 lawmakers (4%) were present at the outset and 161 (47%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leader of PPPP, PML-N, GDA, BAP, PML and BNP attended the sitting.
- Four out of 10 minority lawmakers were also present during the proceedings.
- The House approved 107 Supplementary Demands for Grants for the fiscal year 2018-19 while Excess Demands for Grants and Appropriation for the financial years, 1993-1994, 2002-2003, 2008-2009, 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 were also approved.
- Tabled by Minister for Human Rights, the House adopted a resolution to condemn the remarks of a party leader against the Speaker National Assembly.
- The Minister of State for Revenue tabled the Schedule of Authorized Expenditure 2019-20, the Supplementary Schedule of Authorized Expenditure 2018-2019 and the Excess Schedule of Authorized Expenditure 1993-1994, 2002-2003, 2008-2009, 2014- 2015, 2015-2016, 2016-2017 and 2017-2018.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Eight lawmakers participated in the general discussion on Supplementary Demands for Grants and Appropriations for the financial year 2018-2019. They spoke on it for 64 minutes.
- Prime Minister spoke on the economic plan, defense, law and order as well as challenges in erstwhile FATA and Balochistan for 23 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- PML-N and PPPP lawmakers pointed out the quorum at 1513 and 1536 hours respectively but it was found complete upon counting.
- The opposition lawmakers walked out of the House at 1556 hours against the Chair’s attitude who allegedly snubbed two PPPP lawmakers demanding the floor for one of their colleagues. They did not return to the House till adjournment of the sitting.
- Three lawmakers spoke on points of order for five minutes.
- State Minister for Revenue spoke on a point of personal explanation for two minutes.
- The Session was prorogued sine die..
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly’s proceedings, conducted by the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
ISLAMABAD, September 13, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh was adjourned without addressing its scheduled business in honor of the PPPP lawmaker Ghulam Shah Jilani who…
ISLAMABAD, September 13, 2019: The National Assembly on Friday adopted an amendment in the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business to elect more than…
ISLAMABAD, September 12, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) passed two government bills amidst opposition’s protest and adopted six supplementary resolutions after…