ISLAMABAD, December 15, 2017: The National Assembly was adjourned on Friday due to lack of quorum without taking up any of the agenda item, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings during seventh sitting of 50th session:
- The National Assembly met for an hour and 22 minutes of which the proceedings remained suspended for 49 minutes due to lack of quorum.
- The sitting started at 1039 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the House (Prime Minister) and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- Forty-five lawmakers (13%) were present at the outset and 72 (21%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of APML and PPPP attended the sitting.
- Two minority members were present.
- The House did not take up periodical reports of five Standing Committees, a motion of thanks and two Calling Attention Notices (CANs).
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House did not hold question hour and the Chair recommended to the Prime Minister to suspend Secretary Ministry of Capital Administration and Development Division for three days over non-reply of questions related to his Ministry.
Order and Institutionalization
- Seven lawmakers spoke on as many Points of Order consuming 19 minutes of the proceedings.
- AMLP lawmaker staged a walkout at 1055 hours for not including FATA Reforms Bill on the agenda which was later joined by PPPP, MQM and other opposition lawmakers. They did not return to the House till adjournment of sitting at 1201 hours.
- A PPPP lawmaker pointed out quorum at 1105 hours that led to the suspension of the proceedings for 49 minutes. The sitting resumed again at 1156 hours but it had to be adjourned over lack of quorum at 1201 hours after counting.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, June 19, 2019: The Leader of the Opposition formally opened debate on the Federal Budget 2019-20 in National Assembly on Wednesday, after a consensus was developed…
ISLAMABAD, June 18, 2019: The proceedings of National Assembly remained suspended on Tuesday for an hour and 59 minutes (67 % of the total duration) due…
ISLAMABAD, June 17, 2019: The sitting of the National Assembly was adjourned on Monday due to the protest by treasury lawmakers during the opening speech of Leader of the Opposition on the Federal Budget…