ISLAMABAD, May 20, 2016: The National Assembly addressed its entire agenda except a Calling Attention Notice on Friday during tenth and last sitting of its 32nd session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
The session was prorogued on conclusion of its business.
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 33 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1036 hours against the scheduled time 1030 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting as the Speaker was not present.
- The Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- Twelve Federal Ministers attended the sitting.
- 36 MNAs (10%) were present at outset and 18 (5%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-F, PkMAP, PML-Z and APML attended the sitting.
- Seven minority members were present.
- Moved by the Parliamentary Secretary for Interior and Narcotics Control, the House passed the Criminal Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2015.
- A member of the Standing Committee on Ports and Shipping presented the periodical report of the Committee for the period from July, 2015 to December, 2015.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Eleven out of 32 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda were taken up and responded to by the relevant ministers. The lawmakers also asked 22 supplementary questions.
- The government replied to a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding lack of facilities for disabled students in Federal Universities while another CAN was not taken up.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on 19 Points of Order consuming 52 minutes of the proceeding.
- A PTI lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1210 hours but it was found complete on counting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, June 19, 2019: The Leader of the Opposition formally opened debate on the Federal Budget 2019-20 in National Assembly on Wednesday, after a consensus was developed…
ISLAMABAD, June 18, 2019: The proceedings of National Assembly remained suspended on Tuesday for an hour and 59 minutes (67 % of the total duration) due…
ISLAMABAD, June 17, 2019: The sitting of the National Assembly was adjourned on Monday due to the protest by treasury lawmakers during the opening speech of Leader of the Opposition on the Federal Budget…