ISLAMABAD, October 6, 2017: The National Assembly, on Friday, elected the members of the Standing Committees on Privatization, Narcotics Control, Postal Services and Statistics, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during fifth sitting of the 47th session:
- The National Assembly met for an hour and 27 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1047 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting as the Speaker was not present.
- The Leader of the House (Prime Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for 45 minutes.
- As many as 49 (14%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 32 (10%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, JI and APML attended the sitting.
- Five minority lawmakers were present.
- Chairpersons of the Standing Committees on National Food Security & Research, Federal Education & Professional Training, Defence Production, Overseas Pakistanis and Human Resource Development, Communications, Ports and Shipping and States & Frontier Regions presented the periodical reports of their committees for the period between January and June 2017.
- The House adopted a motion to elect the members of the Standing Committees on Privatization, Narcotics Control, Postal Services and Statistics. The motion also authorized the Speaker to make changes in the composition of these committees, as and when required.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as six out of 36 Starred Questions were taken up for answers during the proceedings. The lawmakers also asked 11 supplementary questions.
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice regarding the vacant posts of Headmasters in Islamabad Model Schools. Another CAN about the increase in prices of Petroleum products was deferred on request of the mover.
- The House did not hold discussion on the Motion of Thanks to the President for his address to the Parliament.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on nine Points of Order consuming 30 minutes of the proceedings.
- A lawmaker belonging to MQM announced a walkout against the knife attacks on women in Karachi. However, the sitting was adjourned immediately after the announcement.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on the National Assembly website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly’s proceedings, conducted by the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, June 19, 2019: The Leader of the Opposition formally opened debate on the Federal Budget 2019-20 in National Assembly on Wednesday, after a consensus was developed…
ISLAMABAD, June 18, 2019: The proceedings of National Assembly remained suspended on Tuesday for an hour and 59 minutes (67 % of the total duration) due…
ISLAMABAD, June 17, 2019: The sitting of the National Assembly was adjourned on Monday due to the protest by treasury lawmakers during the opening speech of Leader of the Opposition on the Federal Budget…