ISLAMABAD, December 10, 2018: The National Assembly left almost 90 percent of its agenda unaddressed in the absence of Leader of the House on Monday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of House proceedings during first sitting of the sixth session:
- The National Assembly met for an hour and 56 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1723 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Leader of House (Prime Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition, who was brought to the House from Kot Lakhpat jail on production orders of the Speaker, attended the sitting for 56 minutes.
- Seventy-four lawmakers (22%) were present at the outset while 113 (33%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, MMAP, PML, ANP and PPPP attended the sitting.
- Four out of 10 minority lawmakers were also present.
- Tabled by the Parliamentary Secretary for National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination, the House passed the West Pakistan Juvenile Smoking (Repeal) Bill, 2018 after the PPPP lawmakers withdrew their amendments on the request of the Chair.
- In connection with the Human Rights Day, the House unanimously adopted a resolution affirming the government’s resolve to protect the rights of the citizens.
- The House did not consider three government bills and the amendment in the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the National Assembly 2007.
- Two statutory reports as well as a copy of the Address of the President of Pakistan were not laid in the House.
Representation and Responsiveness
- A Calling Attention Notice (CAN) on the low gas pressure in the suburbs of Mastung, Qalat, Noshki and Quetta was deferred on the request of relevant ministers.
- The House did not consider another CAN regarding the non-availability of life-saving drugs, Motion of Thanks and a Motion under Rule 259.
- Nine out of 36 Starred questions were taken up during the proceedings. In addition, the lawmakers asked 18 Supplementary questions as well.
- Six questions were not considered due to absence of the movers while 21 questions could not be taken up for time constraint.
Order and Institutionalization
- Three lawmakers spoke on as many Points of Order for 19 minutes.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on December 11, 2018 (Tuesday) at 1100 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the National Assembly’s website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
POs Consume 62% of the Proceedings’ Time None out of the Eight Sittings Start on Time ISLAMABAD, March 8, 2019: The National Assembly did not address…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, March 6, 2019: The National Assembly passed the Finance Supplementary (Second Amendment) Bill, 2019 on Wednesday amid walkout by the opposition parties, observes…