- Takes Up Entire Agenda after Four Consecutive Early Adjournment of Sittings
ISLAMABAD, April 19, 2017: The National Assembly on Wednesday succeeded in taking up its entire regular agenda after four consecutive sittings when quorum was pointed out to adjourn proceedings of the House, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
The quorum was pointed out even today, but it was found complete upon counting. The House passed the Compulsory Teaching of the Holy Quran Bill, 2017 while the PPPP lawmakers continued their protest by staging a walk out against the “enforced disappearances” of their loyalists.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during sixth sitting of the 41st session:
- The National Assembly met for three hours and 44 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1039 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Leader of the House (Prime Minister) did not attend the sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 27 minutes.
- Fifty-six lawmakers (16%) were present at the outset and 11(3%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, JI, AMLP, ANP, PML-F and QWP attended the sitting.
- Five minority members were present.
- Tabled by Minister of State for Federal Education and Professional Training, the House passed the Compulsory Teaching of the Holy Quran Bill, 2017.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Commerce presented report of the Standing Committee on the Marine Insurance Bill, 2016.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices on electricity load-shedding and shortage of water supply in Islamabad.
- Eight out of 36 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda were taken up while lawmakers asked 19 Supplementary Questions.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on 12 Points of Order that consumed 43 minutes of the proceedings.
- The lawmakers belonging to PPPP staged a walkout at 1246 hours against the “enforced disappearances” of their party loyalists. The legislators did not return to the House till adjournment of the sitting.
- A PPPP lawmaker pointed out quorum at 1247 hours, subsequently head count was made and the House was found in order.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
Budget Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, June 14, 2017: The National Assembly approved 124 Supplementary Demands for Grants for financial year 2016-17 and 59 Excess Demands for Grants…
ISLAMABAD, June 13, 2017: The National Assembly passed the Finance Bill, 2017 on Tuesday amidst boycott by the opposition parties, observes Free and Fair Election Network…
ISLAMABAD, June 12, 2017: The National Assembly, on Monday, continued the general discussion on the budget amidst opposition’s boycott of the proceedings, observes Free and…