ISLAMABAD, May 7, 2018: The Opposition walked out from the Senate proceedings on Monday to protest against the absence of Foreign and Interior Ministers who were summoned to brief the House about media reports of shifting Dr Shakil Afridi to Rawalpindi from Peshawar, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings of 6th sitting of 277th session:
- The Senate met for three hours and 37 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for an hour and 53 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for two hour and 53 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PTI, PPPP, BNP-M, ANP and PkMAP were present.
- Sixteen members (15% of the total membership) were present at the outset and 10 (9%) at the end of sitting.
- Two minority Senators attended the sitting.
- Tabled by the Leader of the House, the House adopted a resolution to condemn Indian atrocities in Kashmir.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Eight Senators participated in the debate on Finance Bill, 2018 consuming an hour and 52 minutes of the proceedings.
- Four lawmakers spoke on as many matters of public importance for 18 minutes.
- The Chairman referred the issue of collection under the head of Gas Infrastructure Development Cess (GIDC) to the Petroleum Committee on the demand of the Opposition lawmakers. Earlier, the State Minister for Finance requested the Chair to refer it the Standing Committee on Finance.
Order and Institutionalization
- An Independent lawmaker staged a token walkout for two minutes over lack of basic amenities in Balochistan.
- Seventeen lawmakers spoke on as many points of order for 79 minutes which were mainly regarding attack on Interior Minister in Narowal, deaths of miners near Quetta, persecution of people from Hazara community and Indian atrocities in Kashmir.
- PkMAP lawmakers expressed reservations over trial of police official Rao Anwar in Naqeeb Ullah murder case. They walked out of the House at 1833 hours and did not return till adjournment of the sitting at 1837 hours.
- PPPP and PTI lawmakers except the Leader of the Opposition walked out of the House at 1835 hours against the absence of Foreign and Interior ministers who had to brief the House about media reports of shifting Dr Shakil Afridi to Rawalpindi from Peshawar. They also did not return to the House till adjournment of sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition had to join the walkout after speaking on her Point of Public Importance but the Chair adjourned the House to meet again on May 8, 2018 at 1500 hours soon after end of her speech.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, March 8, 2019: Women parliamentarians maintained a track record of consistently surpassing reasonable performance expectations during the year 2018-2019 by making remarkable contributions to…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, March 8, 2019: The Senate unanimously adopted a resolution paying tribute to women on occasion of International Women’s Day while the proceedings were chaired…