ISLAMABAD, March 13, 2017: The Punjab Assembly passed the Punjab Private Educational Institutions (Promotion and Regulation) (Amendment) Bill 2017 and continued Pre-Budget discussion on Monday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during sixth sitting of 27th session:
- The Punjab Assembly met for three hours and 40 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1624 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for 36 minutes, the Deputy Speaker for an hour and 38 minutes and a member of Panel of Chairpersons for 50 minutes.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 16 minutes.
- Twenty-four MPAs (6%) were present at the outset and 10 (2%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The Parliamentary leader of JI attended the sitting.
- Seven minority members were present.
- Moved by Minister for Law, the House passed the Punjab Private Educational Institutions (Promotion and Regulation) (Amendment) Bill 2017.
- The House granted two-month extension to the Standing Committees on Education and Food for presentation of their reports.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as six out of 14 Starred Questions were responded to by the government during Question Hour while six questions were disposed of and two others were deferred due to the absence of movers. The lawmakers asked 19 Supplementary Questions, as well.
- Minister for Law made a statement on a Calling Attention Notice moved by PML-N lawmaker.
- Seventeen lawmakers participated in the Pre-Budget discussion consuming an hour and 41 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on seven Points of Order consuming as many minutes of the proceedings.
- A PTI lawmaker pointed out quorum at 1723 hours. However, it was found complete after the bells were rung for five minutes.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
Session Prorogued after completion of 100 mandatory working days ISLAMABAD, May 29, 2017: The Punjab Assembly’s 29th session was prorogued on Monday after completing 100…
ISLAMABAD, May 26, 2017: The lack of quorum persisted during sixth sitting of the Punjab Assembly’s 29th session, as the proceedings had to be adjourned…
ISLAMABAD, May 25, 2017: The fifth sitting of the Punjab Assembly’s 29th session could not hold discussion on agriculture and food due to lack of…