ISLAMABAD, April 24, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab amended its Rules of Procedure on Wednesday to constitute a dedicated Public Accounts Committee for the Local Governments, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during third sitting of the ninth session:
- The House met for two hours and three minutes.
- The sitting started at 1306 hours against the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the proceedings for first 45 minutes while the Speaker chaired the rest of the sitting.
- The Leaders of the House and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 10 MPAs (3%) were present at the outset and 70 (19%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP and PRHP attended the proceedings.
- As many as four out of eight minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- The Minister for Law presented audit reports on five government projects carried out during the period between 2012 and 2016.
- Moved by the Minister for Law, the House approved an amendment in Rule 176 of the Rules of Procedure of the Assembly, 1997 providing for constitution of a separate Public Accounts Committee for the Local Governments. The amendment was not included in the scheduled business of the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Minister for School Education responded to six out of 21 Starred Questions while the remaining questions were not taken up. The lawmakers asked 21 supplementary questions as well.
- The House deferred an Adjournment Motion (AM) of a PPPP lawmaker seeking debate on the spread of hepatitis in the country.
Order and Institutionalization
- As many as 19 lawmakers raised Points of Order consuming 47 minutes of the proceedings.
- The opposition lawmakers protested during the proceedings for five minutes against the government’s motion to consider amendment in the Assembly’s Rules of Procedure without its prior inclusion in the List of Business.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on April 25, 2019 (Thursday) at 1100 hours
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available on Assembly’s website.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted
ISLAMABAD, June 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab on Wednesday resumed general discussion on budget 2019-20 amid low attendance of lawmakers as 15 percent were…
ISLAMABAD, June 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan witnessed the presentation of Provincial Annual Budget for the Financial Year 2019-2020 and the Supplementary Budget for…
ISLAMABAD, June 19, 2019: The Sindh Assembly on Wednesday continued debate on the budget statement for the year 2019-20 and supplementary budget statement for the year…