ISLAMABAD, May 17, 2018: The Punjab Assembly’s 36th session was prorogued on Thursday after approval of 40 Supplementary Demands for Grants 2017-18 of 856 million PKR, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during fourth and last sitting of the 36th session:
- The Punjab Assembly met for three hours and 52 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1355 hours against the scheduled time 1100 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for three hours and ten minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the proceedings.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Finance Minister was present for three hours and 48 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for three hours and 20 minutes.
- As many as 56 MPAs (15%) were present at outset and 110 (30%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leader of JI attended the sitting.
- As many as eight minority lawmakers also attended the sitting.
- The House passed 40 Supplementary Demands for Grants 2017-18 of approximate value of 856 million PKR. As many as six lawmakers debated two Cut Motions consuming 30 minutes of the proceedings.
- The House adopted two supplementary resolutions expressing its condolences to the officers and soldiers martyred in Quetta operation; and expressing satisfaction on the performance of provincial government and PML-N leadership.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House held a general discussion on the Supplementary Demands for Grants 2017-18. As many as nine lawmakers participated in the discussion consuming one and a half hour while the Finance Minister summed up the discussion in nine minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers raised three Points of Order consuming five minutes of the proceedings.
- The opposition lawmakers staged a 12-minute protest over the remarks of a PML-N lawmaker against PTI leadership.
- The minority lawmakers belonging to treasury benches staged a walkout for 34 minutes over alleged off-the record remarks of a PTI lawmaker against minority members.
- Entire opposition walked out from the proceedings at 1730 hours against a supplementary government resolution expressing trust on PML-N leadership. They did not return to the proceedings till the prorogation of the House.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
ISLAMABAD, February 22, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of the Punjab was adjourned on Friday without holding a scheduled discussion on annual performance reports of the…
Sitting Adjourned Due to Lack of Quorum ISLAMABAD, February 21, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of the Punjab discussed arrest of Sindh Assembly’s Speaker through points…
Sitting Adjourned for 25 Minutes Due to Lack of Quorum ISLAMABAD, February 20, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of the Punjab, on Wednesday, passed the Punjab…