ISLAMABAD, June 16, 2016: The Punjab Assembly began the general discussion on the Budget 2016-17 on Thursday during second sitting of 22nd session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for four hours and 20 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1139 hours against the scheduled time 1100 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for three hours and 21 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the proceeding.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting,
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for three hours.
- The Finance Minister attended the entire sitting.
- 29 MPAs (7%) were present at outset and 12 (3%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-Z and PPPP attended the sitting.
- Four minority members were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Leader of the Opposition started the general discussion on the Budget 2016-17 and spoke for two hours and 52 minutes. Nine other lawmakers – seven belonging to PML-N and one each to PPPP and PML-Z – also took part in the discussion consuming 72 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- A PML-N lawmaker staged walkout at 1540 hours to register his protest against ignoring his constituency in allocation of development schemes.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on National Assembly website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
ISLAMABAD, October 11, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab’s 15th session was prorogued on Friday without taking up scheduled discussions on Kashmir issue, inflation and security situation, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2019: The 14th session of Provincial Assembly of Punjab was prorogued on Friday amidst low attendance of lawmakers, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…
ISLAMABAD, September 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab transacted its entire agenda amid low attendance of lawmakers in the House on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election…