ISLAMABAD, June 19, 2015: The Punjab Finance Minister concluded debate on the provincial budget 2015-2016 amid low attendance of lawmakers during the 8th sitting of 15th assembly session on Friday, says Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet.
The Finance Minister took 13 minutes to wind up the debate while 17 lawmakers, including 14 from PML-N and three from PTI took part in general discussion for 78 % (103 minutes) of the proceedings’ time.
The House continued to witness low attendance of lawmakers with only 15 members (4%) present at the start and maximum 106 (29%) at the adjournment of sitting. The Chief Minister and the Opposition Leader did not attend the proceedings.
Following are some key observations of the assembly business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for two hours and 12 minutes.
- The sitting started at 0910 hours against the scheduled time of 0900 hours.
- Fifteen members (4%) were present at the start and maximum 106 (29%) at the end of the sitting.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Chief Minister and the Opposition Leader did not attend the sitting.
- The Finance Minister attended the entire sitting.
- None of the parliamentary leaders was present.
- Three minority members attended the proceedings.
- No member applied for the leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Finance Minister concluded the debate on provincial budget during his 13-minute speech.
- Seventeen lawmakers, including 14 from PML-N and three from PTI took part in the general discussion for 78 % (103 minutes) of the proceedings’ time.
- ‘Orders of the day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was also available to the observers and the public.
To download the document, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, October 11, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab’s 15th session was prorogued on Friday without taking up scheduled discussions on Kashmir issue, inflation and security situation, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2019: The 14th session of Provincial Assembly of Punjab was prorogued on Friday amidst low attendance of lawmakers, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…
ISLAMABAD, September 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab transacted its entire agenda amid low attendance of lawmakers in the House on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election…