ISLAMABAD, October 30, 2017: The Punjab Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on Monday condemning the attack on journalist Ahmad Noorani in Islamabad, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during 11th and last sitting of the 32nd session:
- The Punjab Assembly met for an hour and 36 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1545 hours against the scheduled time of 1400 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for 33 minutes.
- As many as 5 MPAs (1%) were present at the outset and 30 (8%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- None of the parliamentary leaders attended the sitting.
- Six minority lawmakers were present.
- The House did not hold the scheduled discussion on the Annual Report of the Punjab Pension Fund for the Year 2015-16.
- Moved by the Law Minister, the House adopted a resolution condemning the attack on journalist Ahmad Noorani in Islamabad.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as 10 out of 24 Starred Questions were taken up for answers during the proceedings while 12 questions were disposed of and one was deferred. The lawmakers asked 17 supplementary questions as well.
- The House deferred a PML-N lawmakers’ Adjournment Motion.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on 10 Points of Order consuming as many minutes of the proceedings.
- An independent lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1713 hours forcing the Chair to order ringing the bells. However, the quorum was found incomplete on second headcount as well that led to prorogation of the session.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
ISLAMABAD, October 11, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab’s 15th session was prorogued on Friday without taking up scheduled discussions on Kashmir issue, inflation and security situation, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2019: The 14th session of Provincial Assembly of Punjab was prorogued on Friday amidst low attendance of lawmakers, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…
ISLAMABAD, September 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab transacted its entire agenda amid low attendance of lawmakers in the House on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election…