ISLAMABAD, June 6, 2017: Twelve lawmakers participated in the general discussion on the annual budget 2017-18 amidst lack of quorum and walkouts by treasury and opposition lawmakers on Tuesday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings during third sitting of 30thsession:
- The Punjab Assembly met for two hours and 52 minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for an hour and four minutes.
- The sitting started at 1136 hours against the scheduled time 1100 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Speaker was not present.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- The Finance Minister attended the sitting for an hour and 36 minutes
- As many as 20 MPAs (5%) were present at outset and 40 (11%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of JI and PML-Z attended the sitting.
- Seven minority members were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Twelve lawmakers – 11 of PML-N and one of PTI – took part in the general discussion on the budget 2017-18. The discussion continued for an hour and nine minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- Two PTI lawmakers pointed out quorum at 1143 and 1406 hours. The proceedings remained suspended for an hour and four minutes on first instance while the quorum was completed after ringing bells for five minutes on second occasion.
- Two PML-N lawmakers staged walkouts over Chair’s refusal to grant them extra time for their speeches on budget. A lawmaker returned after ten minutes while the other did not return to the proceedings till adjournment of the sitting.
- Entire opposition protested on floor of the House for three minutes against interruptions from treasury benches during the speech of a PTI lawmaker. Later, the opposition lawmakers walked out from proceedings at 1406 hours and did not return till adjournment.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
ISLAMABAD, October 20, 2017: The Punjab Assembly held a general discussion on price control on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Following are…
ISLAMABAD, October 19, 2017: The Punjab Assembly, on Thursday, did not take up any agenda item except a starred question due to lack of quorum,…
ISLAMABAD, October 18, 2017: The Punjab Assembly addressed the entire agenda amidst lack of quorum and in the absence of Leader of the House on…