ISLAMABAD, March 9, 2017: The Punjab Assembly continued Pre-Budget discussion on Thursday in the absence of Opposition lawmakers, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings during fourth sitting of 27th session:
- The Punjab Assembly met for two hours and 50 minutes.
- The proceedings remained suspended for 43 minutes due to lack of quorum.
- The sitting started at 1132 hours against the scheduled time 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting except 22 minutes when a member of the Panel of Chairpersons presided over the proceedings; while the Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- Twenty-four MPAs (6%) were present at outset and 20 (5%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- None of the parliamentary leaders attended the sitting.
- Four minority members were present.
- Moved by a PML-N lawmaker, the House adopted a supplementary resolution marking the International Women’s Day.
- The House witnessed the presentation of two reports of the Committee on Privileges and Special Committee No. 4.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as eight out of 10 Starred Questions were responded to by the government during Question Hour while two were deferred. The lawmakers also asked 28 supplementary questions.
- The House deferred an Adjournment Motion of PML-N lawmaker and disposed of four Calling Attention Notices of PTI, PML and Independent lawmakers.
- Six lawmakers participated in the Pre-Budget discussion that consumed 32 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on two Points of Order consuming one minute of the proceedings.
- Two PTI lawmakers pointed out quorum twice during the sitting. Once the proceedings had to be suspended for 43 minutes while on second occasions the quorum was completed on ringing the bells for five minutes.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
ISLAMABAD, November 23, 2017: The Punjab Assembly did not take up the legislative business appearing on its Orders of the Day on Thursday due to…
Six out of 11 sittings adjourned due to lack of quorum ISLAMABAD, November 2, 2017: The Punjab Assembly left 51% of its scheduled business unaddressed…
ISLAMABAD, October 30, 2017: The Punjab Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on Monday condemning the attack on journalist Ahmad Noorani in Islamabad, observes Free and…