ISLAMABAD, June 28, 2013: The Minister for Finance in the Punjab Assembly concluded the debate on the supplementary budget for the year 2012-13 during the ninth sitting of its second session on Friday. He spoke for 13 minutes.
Overall 14 members – five PTI, four PMLN, two PML, and a single member each of PPPP, JIP and an independent MPA – participated in the debate on supplementary budget.
The Chief Minister was not present while the leader of the opposition attended an hour and eight minutes of the proceedings. The parliamentary leaders of PML, PMLZ and PPPP also attended the sitting.
A privilege motion moved by a PMLN member about the police department was referred to the special committee as the standing committees have not been formed in the Punjab Assembly yet.
Following are some key observations of the proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for three hours and eight minutes.
- The sitting started at 0955 hours against the scheduled starting time of 0900 hours, witnessing a delay of 55 minutes.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting for two hours and 13 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the sitting.
- Forty-seven members were present at the outset while 82 were there at the time of adjournment. A maximum of 96 members were present at one time during any point of sitting.
- The Chief Minister was not present while the Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for an hour and eight minutes.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML, PMLZ and PPPP, and the only member of JI were present during the sitting.
- The Finance Minister attended the proceedings for two hours and seven minutes.
- Three minority members attended the sitting.
- One female member took oath.
Representation and responsiveness
· In his 13-minute speech, the Provincial Minister for Finance concluded the discussion on the supplementary budget for the year 2012-13.
· Fourteen members spoke during the debate on supplementary budget lasting for two hours and 20 minutes. Five PTI members shared their views for an hour and eight minutes, followed by four PMLN members who spoke for 18 minutes, two PML MPAs (12 minutes), and a single member each of JIP (25 minute), PPPP (13 minute) and an independent MPA spoke for four minutes.
· A PMLN member moved a privilege motion which was taken up and forwarded to the special committee as the relevant standing committee has not been formed in the Punjab Assembly.
Order and Institutionalization
· Seven members spoke on points of order for three minutes.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was recorded but not available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN, a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, October 11, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab’s 15th session was prorogued on Friday without taking up scheduled discussions on Kashmir issue, inflation and security situation, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2019: The 14th session of Provincial Assembly of Punjab was prorogued on Friday amidst low attendance of lawmakers, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…
ISLAMABAD, September 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab transacted its entire agenda amid low attendance of lawmakers in the House on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election…