ISLAMABAD, June 14, 2017: The Punjab Assembly discussed the supplementary budget 2016-17 amid opposition lawmakers’ walkout against unwarranted remarks of a treasury lawmaker on Wednesday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
- The Punjab Assembly met for two hours and three minutes.
- The sitting started at 1148 hours against the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 54 minutes.
- The Finance Minister attended the sitting for an hour and 54 minutes.
- Thirteen lawmakers (4%) were present at the outset and 85 (23%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leader of PML-Z attended the sitting.
- Five minority members were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Eleven lawmakers – PTI (six), PML-N (five) – took part in General Discussion on Supplementary Budget for the year 2016-17 consuming an hour and 17 minutes of the proceedings.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on ten Points of Order consuming 12 minutes of the proceedings.
- The opposition lawmakers protested against unwarranted remarks of a treasury lawmaker. The one-minute protest was followed by a walkout of lawmakers at 1339 hours and they did not return to the House till adjournment of sitting.
- A PTI lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1339 hours; however, it was completed after ringing the assembly bells for five minutes.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
ISLAMABAD, June 15, 2017: The Punjab Assembly session was prorogued after the House approved 41Supplemetnary Demands for Grants on Thursday, says Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, June 13, 2017: The Punjab Assembly passed the provincial Finance Bill 2017 on Tuesday while the opposition protested against imposition of new taxes in…