ISLAMABAD, February 9, 2018: The Punjab Assembly could not take up legislative business on Friday, as the lawmakers belonging to the opposition parties agitated against the government on a political issue, observes Free and Fair Election Network.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during tenth sitting of the 34th session:
- The Punjab Assembly met for an hour and 29 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1048 hours against the scheduled time 0900 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 12 minutes.
- As many as 15 MPAs (4%) were present at outset and 22 (6%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- Only JI Parliamentary Leader attended the proceedings.
- As many as four minority lawmakers were present.
- The House did not take up legislative business while annual activity reports of the Parks and Horticulture Authority for six divisions were not presented.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as nine out of 26 Starred Questions were taken up for answers during the proceedings. The lawmakers also asked 20 supplementary questions.
- Three adjournment motions on the agenda were kept pending as none of the motion was answered.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers raised seven Points of Order consuming 11 minutes of the proceedings.
- The Opposition lawmakers started their protest at 1216 hours against the government on a political issue following which the Chair adjourned the House to meet again on Monday at 1400 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted
ISLAMABAD, October 11, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab’s 15th session was prorogued on Friday without taking up scheduled discussions on Kashmir issue, inflation and security situation, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2019: The 14th session of Provincial Assembly of Punjab was prorogued on Friday amidst low attendance of lawmakers, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…
ISLAMABAD, September 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab transacted its entire agenda amid low attendance of lawmakers in the House on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election…