ISLAMABAD, March 31, 2016: The Punjab Finance Minister started Pre-Budget Discussion in the Punjab Assembly on Thursday during second sitting of its 20th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for an hour and 32 minutes while the proceeding remained suspended for 54 minutes due to lack of quorum.
- The sitting started at 1057 hours against the scheduled time 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- 20 MPAs (4%) were present at outset and 90 (24%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leader of PPPP attended the sitting.
- Four minority members were present.
- The House did not take up the government legislative business appearing on Orders of the Day.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Six of the seven starred questions appearing on the agenda were disposed of due to absence of relevant lawmakers while one question was deferred.
- The Provincial Law Minister responded to a Calling Attention Notice while three others were deferred.
- The Provincial Finance Minister initiated the Pre-Budget discussion and spoke for six minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- A PTI lawmaker pointed out quorum at 1131 hours. It was found lacking on headcount and was not completed even after ringing the bells for five minutes leading to the suspension of the proceeding which resumed at 1224 hours. However, the quorum was still incomplete so the sitting was adjourned.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, August 21, 2019: The Punjab Assembly on Wednesday adopted a supplementary resolution condemning Indian move to change the special status of Indian…
ISLAMABAD, July 29, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab’s 12th session, requisitioned by the opposition, was prorogued sine die on Monday amid lack of quorum,…
ISLAMABAD, July 15, 2019: The Punjab Assembly’s eleventh session requisitioned by the Opposition was prorogued sine die on Monday without taking up regular agenda except observing…