ISLAMABAD, June 12, 2015: The Punjab Assembly witnessed the presentation of the provincial budget for the upcoming financial year on Friday amid strong protest by the opposition parties, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
The sitting started 90 minutes behind the schedule with 230 members (62% of the total membership) present at the start and 135 (36%) at the time of adjournment.
Along with the Punjab Finance Bill 2015, the Finance Minister also presented the annual budget statement for the fiscal year 2015-2016 and the supplementary budget statement for the year 2014-2015.
She also laid down the notifications related to the amendments in the second schedule of the Punjab Sales Tax on Services Act 2012 and the rules made under the Act.
The Finance Minister took 62 minutes (78% of sitting time) to present the budget as the opposition members chanted slogans within the House to register their protest.
The Chief Minister attended 90% of the sitting, while the Opposition Leader was present for 80% of duration. Following are some key observations of the assembly business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for 79 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1530 hours against the scheduled time of 1400 hours.
- 230 members (62%) were present at the start and 135 (36%) at the end of the sitting.
- A maximum of 270 members (73%) attended the sitting.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Chief Minister attended the sitting for 71 minutes.
- The Opposition Leader was present for 63 minutes.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP and JI attended the sitting.
- Seven minority members were present.
- No member applied for the leave.
- The Finance Minister presented the Punjab Finance Bill 2015 along with the annual budget statement for the fiscal year 2015-2016 and the supplementary budget statement for the year 2014-2015.
- She also introduced the Punjab Infrastructure Development Cess Bill 2015.
- The notifications related to the amendments in the second schedule of the Punjab Sales Tax on Services Act 2012 and the rules made under the Act were also laid down by the Finance Minister.
Order and Institutionalization
- Only one point of order was raised during the sitting.
- The opposition lawmakers started protesting as the Finance Minister presented the budget and kept chanting slogans for 63 minutes.
- ‘Orders of the day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was also available to the observers and the public.
To download the document, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, June 20, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab on Thursday continued the general discussion on provincial annual budget consuming 76 percent of the proceeding time,…
ISLAMABAD, June 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab on Wednesday resumed general discussion on budget 2019-20 amid low attendance of lawmakers as 15 percent were…
ISLAMABAD, June 18, 2019: As many as 24 lawmakers participated in the general discussion on the annual budget 2019-20 in Punjab Assembly, observes Free and Fair…