ISLAMABAD, March 09, 2018: The Punjab Assembly did not hold Question Hour on Friday amidst absence of the Leaders of the House and Opposition and lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during 24th sitting of the 34th session:
- The Punjab Assembly met for an hour and 13 minutes; however, the proceedings remained suspended for 54 minutes due to lack of quorum.
- The sitting started at 1011 hours against the scheduled time 0900 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 21 MPAs (6%) were present at outset and 37 (10%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- None of the parliamentary leaders were present during the proceedings.
- As many as three minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- The Standing Committee on Human Rights and Minorities Affairs presented its report on the Punjab Anand Karaj Bill, 2017. The bill provides for solemnization and registration of the marriage ceremony among the Sikhs, commonly known as called Anand Karaj.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House did not hold the Question Hour and Pre-Budget Discussion due to suspension of the proceedings.
Order and Institutionalization
- A lawmaker raised a Point of Order consuming one minute of the proceedings.
- The proceedings remained suspended for 54 minutes due to lack of quorum identified by a PTI lawmaker. The quorum was still incomplete on resumption of the proceedings that led to the adjournment of the sitting.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on Monday, March 12, 2018 at 0900 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
ISLAMABAD, October 11, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab’s 15th session was prorogued on Friday without taking up scheduled discussions on Kashmir issue, inflation and security situation, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2019: The 14th session of Provincial Assembly of Punjab was prorogued on Friday amidst low attendance of lawmakers, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…
ISLAMABAD, September 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab transacted its entire agenda amid low attendance of lawmakers in the House on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election…