ISLAMABAD, October 4, 2018: The Punjab Assembly’s second session, requisitioned by the opposition, was prorogued on Wednesday without taking up its scheduled business amidst ministers’ absence and protests by opposition parties, observers Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during first and last sitting of the session:
- The Punjab Assembly met for four hours and 16 minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for an hour and seven minutes.
- The sitting started at 1204 hours against the scheduled time 1100 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for three hours and 5 minutes.
- As many as 280 MPAs (75%) were present at outset and 200 (54%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPP and RHP were present during the proceedings.
- As many as five out of eight minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- A PML-N lawmaker moved a resolution praising Late Kulsoom Nawaz Sharif. However, no vote took place on the motion.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The government responded to eight Starred Questions during the proceedings while the lawmakers asked 11 supplementary questions as well.
- The Provincial Ministers for Law & Parliamentary Affairs and Public Prosecution and the Leader of Opposition participated in the discussion law and order. The discussion continued for 50 minutes.
- The PML-N lawmakers moved two Adjournment Motions highlighting the quality control in medical laboratories and closure of brick kilns to prevent SMOG. The motions were deferred due to absence of the concerned ministers.
- The Minister for Law & Parliamentary Affairs responded to two Calling Attention Notices regarding the incidents of robbery and murder.
- The House did not hold scheduled discussions on price control and local government.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers raised 21 Point of Order consuming 29 minutes of the proceedings.
- The opposition lawmakers staged two protests against remarks of the ministers on performance of previous government during the Question Hour. The protests continued for three minutes.
- The opposition also protested for 16 minutes on the Chair’s remarks regarding the behavior of lawmakers in the House.
- The session was prorogued sine die.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
Sitting Adjourned Due to Lack of Quorum ISLAMABAD, February 21, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of the Punjab discussed arrest of Sindh Assembly’s Speaker through points…
Sitting Adjourned for 25 Minutes Due to Lack of Quorum ISLAMABAD, February 20, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of the Punjab, on Wednesday, passed the Punjab…
ISLAMABAD, January 30, 2019: Nearly three quarters (73%) of the legislators did not participate in the proceedings of the Provincial Assembly of the Punjab during…