ISLAMABAD, January 31, 2019: The Senate took up most of its agenda while continuing the debate on the Finance Supplementary (Second Amendment) Bill, 2019 on Thursday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceeding during eighth sitting of the 286th session:
- The House met for three hours and 46 minutes; however, the proceeding remained suspended for 42 minutes due to quorum and prayer break.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Chairman did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of House attended the entire sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition was not present.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 12 lawmakers (11%) were present at the outset and 16 (15%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, PPPP, PTI, MQM and ANP attended the sitting.
- As many as one out of four minority lawmakers were present.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Interior presented interim report of the Committee on a point of public importance regarding killing of four people by a team of Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) near Sahiwal on January 19, 2019.
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs laid the Elections (Amendment) Ordinance, 2018.
- The House granted 60-day extension to the Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs for presentation of its reports regarding arrest of a Pakistani citizen in Saudi Arabia due to expiry of his visa and provision of relief to a person belonging to Balochistan imprisoned in UAE.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Minister of State for Revenue responded to a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) about record increase in total debt of country. It was sponsored by a PPPP lawmaker.
- The House deferred another CAN on the request of the Minister for Railways. It was regarding delay in revival of hundred years old Mandra Chakwal-Bhoun Railway line.
- As many as nine lawmakers participated in the debate on the Finance Supplementary (Second Amendment) Bill, 2019 consuming an hour and 27 minutes of the proceedings.
- As many as seven lawmakers spoke on points of public importance consuming 30 minutes of the proceedings.
Order and Institutionalization
- The opposition lawmakers walked out from the proceeding at 1616 hours against the government for not fulfilling the Constitutional obligation regarding laying of the Ordinances in the Parliament. They returned to the House at 1652 hours.
- A PPPP lawmaker pointed out the lack of quorum at 1617 hours that led to the headcount and ringing of the bells for five minutes followed by the suspension of the proceedings for 29 minutes.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on February 1, 2019 (Friday) at 1030 hours.
- Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, February 21, 2019: The second sitting of the National Assembly was adjourned early on Thursday without taking up its regular business due to protest…
Adopts Resolution to Reject Indian Allegations Regarding Pulwama Attack ISLAMABAD, February 20, 2019: The National Assembly started two hours and 32 minutes behind schedule and…
Sitting Adjourned for 25 Minutes Due to Lack of Quorum ISLAMABAD, February 20, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of the Punjab, on Wednesday, passed the Punjab…