ISLAMABAD, June 5, 2017: The Senate on Monday transacted its entire business while continuing the discussion on the Federal Budget 2017-18, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings of 7th sitting of 263rd session:
- The Senate met for two hours and 23 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1104 against the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House was present for an hour and 50 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 50 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PML-F, PML-N, PkMAP, PPPP, JI, PML, MQM and JUI-F attended the sitting.
- Fifteen Senators (14% of the total membership) were present at the outset and 22 (21%) at the end of sitting.
- Three minority Senators attended the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Eight Senators participated in the debate on the Finance Bill 2017 consuming an hour and 51 minutes of the proceedings.
- The Chair admitted an Adjournment Motion (AM) for two-hour discussion on the decision of International Court of Justice staying the execution of death sentence awarded to Kulbhushan Jadhav.
- The AMs regarding seizure of heroin from PIA aircraft and FATA reforms were not admitted for being in contravention with rules.
- State Ministers for Petroleum and Natural Resources and Capital Administration and Development Division made statements on two points of public importance related to absence of Director General, Geological Survey of Pakistan from Quetta office and non-payment to salaries of technicians working in the Federal Government Hospital.
- The House granted 30-day and 60- day extensions to the Standing Committees on Inter-Provincial Coordination and Religious Affairs respectively for presentation of their reports.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers and the Daily Journal of the Proceedings are available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, June 9, 2017: The Senate passed the Illegal Dispossession (Amendment) Bill, 2017 on Friday while 15 lawmakers raised Points of Public Importance consuming an hour…
ISLAMABAD, June 8, 2017: The Senate on Thursday unanimously adopted a resolution to condemn the terrorist incidents on the Parliament and the mausoleum of Imam…
ISLAMABAD, June 7, 2017: The Chairman Senate on Wednesday announced to accept withdrawal of Senator Nehal Hashmi’s resignation and the House debated disappearance of retired…