ISLAMABAD, May 31, 2017: The Senate of Pakistan continued debate on a motion to make recommendations to the National Assembly on Finance Bill, 2017, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet on Wednesday.
Following are key observations of the proceedings of 4th sitting of 263rd session:
- The Senate met for four hours and eight minutes.
- The sitting started at its scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was also present.
- The Leader of the House was present for two hours and 12 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for an hour.
- Parliamentary leaders of PML-N, PTI, PPPP, BNP-A, MQM, PkMAP, PML-F and PML attended the sitting.
- Sixteen members (15% of the total membership) were present at the outset and 15 (14%) at the end of sitting.
- Two minority Senators attended the sitting.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Cabinet Secretariat presented report on the Right to Free and Compulsory Education (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Cabinet Secretariat presented another report on the cases and violations of CDA building by-laws.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Fifteen Senators participated in the debate on Finance Bill, consuming two hours and 40 minutes.
- The Chair deferred a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) related to Saudi-led Islamic Military Alliance while another CAN regarding killing of 15 Indians in the massive ordnance air attack by the US military in Nangarhar province of Afghanistan was not taken up.
- The Chair admitted an Adjournment Motion for discussion regarding the firing incident by Afghan Security Forces on the Census team operating inside the residential areas of Pakistan at Chamman.
- The Deputy Chairman briefed the House about the terror attack on him in Mastung area that resulted into the loss of several precious lives and injuries to several other persons.
Order and Institutionalization
- A Point of Order consumed four minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, June 9, 2017: The Senate passed the Illegal Dispossession (Amendment) Bill, 2017 on Friday while 15 lawmakers raised Points of Public Importance consuming an hour…
ISLAMABAD, June 8, 2017: The Senate on Thursday unanimously adopted a resolution to condemn the terrorist incidents on the Parliament and the mausoleum of Imam…
ISLAMABAD, June 7, 2017: The Chairman Senate on Wednesday announced to accept withdrawal of Senator Nehal Hashmi’s resignation and the House debated disappearance of retired…