ISLAMABAD, June 12 2015: The Senate continued debate on a motion to make recommendations to the National Assembly on Finance Bill, 2015 during 6th sitting of 116th session on Friday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Seven lawmakers, including two from PTI, followed by one each of PML-N, PPPP, JUI-F, ANP and an Independent legislator, debated the Annual Budget statement for 87 minutes (63 % of proceedings’ time).
Starting at the scheduled time, the Senate sitting witnessed low attendance of legislators as 15 members (14%) were present at the start and 32 (31%) at the end of the sitting.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for two hours and 19 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Chairman was also present.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting while the Opposition Leader was present for an hour and 58 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of BNP-M, PML-F, PkMAP, PPPP, MQM, PML, PML-N, JUI-F and ANP attended the sitting.
- 15 members (14% of the total membership – 104) were present at the outset and 32 (31%) at the end of the sitting.
- A maximum of 42 lawmakers (40%) were present at one point of the sitting.
- Two minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- Four legislators applied for leave.
- Chairman Standing Committee on National Food Security and Research presented report of the Committee on the Seed Amendment Bill, 2015.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Seven lawmakers debated the Finance Bill for 87 minutes (63 % of proceedings’ time) which included two from PTI followed by one each of PML-N, PPPP, JUI-F, ANP and an Independent legislator.
- The House took up a calling attention notice (CAN) which was related to the rapid increase in slum areas (Kachi Abadis) all over the country especially in Islamabad Capital Territory.
- Another CAN about alleged irregularities and rigging in the recent Local Bodies elections in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province was not taken up.
- The Chair did not admit an adjournment motion regarding appointment of officers of BPS-21 and 22 in the provinces of Balochistan, Sindh and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
Order and Institutionalization
- Six points of order consumed 15 minutes of the sitting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Senators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
To download the document, click here
This publication is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, June 19, 2019: The Senate sitting was adjourned on Wednesday after the treasury and opposition members nearly came close to blows during the debate on Federal Budget…
ISLAMABAD, June 18 2019: The Senate resumed debate on the Finance Bill 2019 on Tuesday, which was later adjourned due to the protest by JUI-F lawmakers against the ‘controversial’ statement of the Prime Minister and the treasury members opposing it, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, June 17 2019: The Senate continued discussion on the Finance Bill, 2019 amid low attendance of lawmakers on both sides of aisle, says Free…