Requisitioned Session Prorogued
ISLAMABAD, August 10, 2017: The Senate debated a motion under Rule 218 regarding present political situation in wake of the Panama Papers verdict, observes the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily Factsheet on Thursday.
Following are key observations of the proceedings of second sitting of 265th session:
- The Senate met for five hours and three minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for 12 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Chairman was also present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for three hours and 21 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for four hours and eight minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PML, MQM, JI and PML-F attended the sitting.
- Twenty-two members (21% of the total membership) were present at the outset and 16 (15%) at the end of sitting.
- Two minority Senators attended the sitting.
- Chairman of the Parliamentary Committee on Electoral Reforms presented the final report of the committee regarding electoral reforms.
- Chairman of the Senate Standing Committee of Finance, Revenue, Economic Affairs, Statistics and Privatization presented two reports of the committee regarding amnesty scheme for motor vehicles and the Financial Institutions (Recovery of Finances) (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
- On behalf of the Chairman of the Standing Committee on Communications, a PPPP lawmaker presented the report of the committee on a point of public importance regarding the fate of local Engineers in Balochistan.
- The House passed a motion under Rule 204 to authorize the Chairman Senate to appoint a Special Committee to examine the issue of non-implementation on the decisions of the House.
- The House adopted two amendments in its Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Senate, 2012 regarding scrutiny of Public Sector Development Programme by the Senate Standing Committees and the dress code for the Chairman, Deputy Chairman, Presiding Officer, Table Officers and other officers/ officials performing duties in the House.
- The House adopted a resolution condemning the manhandling of journalists during a political rally on August 9, 2017. The House also observed a minute of silence to express solidarity with journalists.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House held a discussion on a Motion under Rule 218 regarding present political situation after Panama Papers verdict and the way forward-role of the Parliament. As many as 22 Senators including the Chairman Senate participated in the discussion consuming three hours and 39 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House observed a minute’s silence to pay tribute to the Dr. Ruth Pfau on her demise.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, October 11, 2017: The Senate, on Wednesday, adopted an opposition’s motion against holding a political party’s office by an erstwhile disqualified Member of Parliament, observes…
ISLAMABAD, October 10, 2017: The Senate passed the Elections (Amendment) Bill, 2017 on Tuesday and discussed the political as well as economic situation prevailing in the country,…
Opposition fails to take advantage of its strength as House rejects crucial amendments in the Bill ISLAMABAD, September 26, 2017: The outgoing session of the…