ISLAMABAD, October 8, 2018: The Senate on Monday could not take up its regular agenda due to early adjournment of sitting after lack of quorum and discussed the arrest of Shehbaz Sharif, the Leader of the Opposition in National Assembly, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during 10th sitting of the 282nd session:
- The Senate met for two hours and 33 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1505 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for two hours and 18 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for an hour and 43 minutes.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, ANP, JUI-F, PkMAP, PTI and BNP-M were present.
- As many as 16 members (15% of the total membership) were present at outset and 11 (10%) at end of the sitting.
- As many as two out of four minority Senators attended the sitting.
- The House did not take up legislative business, four motions under Rule 218, four resolutions and a motion under Rule 194 (1) appearing on regular agenda of Private Members’ Day.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Fifteen lawmakers discussed the arrest of the Leader of the Opposition in National Assembly, Muhammad Shehbaz Sharif for an hour and 52 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The Opposition lawmakers staged a walkout at 1726 hours from the proceedings when the Chair allowed Minister for Information and Broadcasting to speak about Shehbaz Sharif’s arrest ahead of conclusion of debate by the Members of the House. They did not return to the House till the adjournment of sitting at 1738 hours.
- A PkMAP lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1727 hours following which the Chair ordered the bells to be rung for five minutes. Upon counting, the quorum was found incomplete and the House was adjourned to meet again on October 10, 2018 (Wednesday) at 1500 hours.
- Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Senate Adopts Recommendations on Finance Supplementary (Second Amendment) Bill, 2019 ISLAMABAD, February 1, 2019: The Minister for Finance, Revenue and Economic Affairs could not conclude…