ISLAMABAD, November 9, 2017: The Senate on Thursday held debate to pay tribute to national poet and philosopher Dr Allama Muhammad Iqbal on eve of his 140th birth anniversary, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during 14th sitting of the Senate’s 269th session:
- The Senate met for three hours and 40 minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for almost 12 minutes due to a prayer break.
- The sitting started at 1507 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the sitting for two hours and 43 minutes while rests of the proceedings were chaired by a member of Panel of Presiding officers.
- The Deputy Chairman did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for an hour and 43 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML, PPPP, PTI, PML-F, PkMAP and MQM attended the sitting.
- As many as nine (8% of the total membership – 104) lawmakers were present at the start and 13 (12%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- Two minority legislators also attended the proceedings.
- Moved by PPPP Senator, the House adopted a resolution to express sorrow over sad demise of prominent Sindhi writer and intellectual Ibrahim Joyo.
- The House adopted Special Report of the Standing Committee on the Finance regarding the matter of non-payment of three percent regulatory duty by the regulatory agencies.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as six out of 16 Starred Questions were taken up for answers during the proceedings. In addition, the lawmakers raised 21 supplementary questions during the Question Hour.
- Attorney General briefed the House in-camera regarding the decision of the International Court of Justice to stay the execution of death sentence awarded to Indian spy Kulbhushan Jadhav.
- Ten lawmakers participated in debate for 25 minutes to pay tributes to legacy of Dr. Allama Iqbal.
- Minster for Law and Justice concluded debate on an adjournment motion regarding reservation on recent census 2017. He spoke on it for 16 minutes.
- Minister for National Health Services responded to a point of public importance regarding termination of services to 88 employees of National TB Program.
- The House granted extension of 25 working days to Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges for presentation of its report on a privilege motion against Chairman CDA.
- A lawmaker discussed the role of state institutions in the scheme of trichotomy of power for eight minutes.
- The House took up a Calling regarding migration of about 70,000 people of Hazara Community of Balochistan to foreign countries due to their persecution. It was responded to by the State Minister for Interior.
- Three adjournment motions on the agenda were not admitted for debate by the Chair for being in contravention with rules.
- The House did not discuss the Annual Report of the National Economic Council for the Financial Year 2015-16.
- Five lawmakers raised as many Points of Public Importance consuming 14 minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the Senate website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, November 17, 2017: The Senate passed the Elections (Amendment) Bill, 2017 that seeks to insert a new clause in the Elections Act, 2017 regarding status…
ISLAMABAD, November 10, 2017: The Senate passed six legislative bills and adopted 16 resolutions during the 269th session that continued between October 23, 2017 and…
ISLAMABAD, November 10, 2017: The Chairman of the Senate announced prorogation of the 269th session on Friday without taking up the scheduled business due to…