ISLAMABAD, November 9, 2018: The Senate took up most of its agenda on Friday and paid tribute to the national poet and philosopher, Dr. Allama Muhammad Iqbal, on his 141st birth anniversary, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings of the first sitting of 284th session:
- The Senate met for two hours and nine minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for an hour and 53 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition remained present for an hour and 38 minutes.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of NP, BNP-M, PML-N, PPPP, PTI and PkMAP attended the proceedings.
- Fifteen Senators (13% of the total membership) were present at the outset and 19 (18%) at the end of the sitting.
- One among four minority members attended the sitting.
- Chairman, Standing Committee on Law and Justice presented the reports on three legislative proposals, including the Federal Judicial Academy (Amendment) Bill, 2018; the Specific Relief (Amendment) Bill, 2018 and the Succession (Amendment) Bill, 2018.
- On a Point of Public Importance, the Chairman Standing Committee on Commerce and Textile Industry presented report of the Standing Committee on concerns of the farmers in Balochistan province.
- Convener Special Committee on China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) presented report of the Special Committee on the formation of security forces for protection of the CPEC Projects.
- On behalf of the Chairman Standing Committee on Aviation, a member of the committee presented report on a Point of Public Importance regarding various issues of mismanagement and lack of facilities at the new Islamabad International Airport.
- Chairman, Standing Committee on Water Resources presented reports on the alarming situation of water resources and the irresponsible behavior of IRSA, distribution of water to Sindh province in accordance with the water accord and also about the shortage of water in Sindh.
- On behalf of the Minister for Finance, Revenue and Economic Affairs, the Minister for Science and Technology laid the Annual Report for the year 2017-2018 of the Central Board of Directors of the State Bank of Pakistan on the state of the economy.
- Minister for Science and Technology laid an authenticated copy of the address of the President of Pakistan before the House and moved a motion of thanks.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Chair deferred two Calling Attention Notices (CANs) appearing on the agenda due to the absence of relevant ministers.
- Ten lawmakers spoke on as many points of public importance for 29 minutes.
- Eleven lawmakers participated in the debate to pay tribute to the national poet and philosopher Dr. Allama Muhammad Iqbal.
- The House took up nine out 24 starred questions appearing on the agenda while the lawmakers asked 23 supplementary questions as well. One lawmaker did not ask question in protest when the Chair did not allow him to raise a supplementary question, while four questions were not taken up due to the absence of relevant lawmakers. The remaining questions related to Ministry of National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination were also not taken up due to the absence of relevant minister.
Order and Institutionalization
- Two lawmakers spoke on Points of Order for four minutes.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on November 12, 2018 at 1430 hours.
- Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, March 8, 2019: Women parliamentarians maintained a track record of consistently surpassing reasonable performance expectations during the year 2018-2019 by making remarkable contributions to…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, March 8, 2019: The Senate unanimously adopted a resolution paying tribute to women on occasion of International Women’s Day while the proceedings were chaired…